Welcome to the 2010 Spring Clean Challenge. It's time to turn the thumbscrews and commit to getting the most out of our nutrition and workouts - summer is not far away!
Why should you do this? Because every one is doing it!! Just kidding. But seriously, they probably will :-)
You should do it because you believe that simple “wellness” isn’t enough. Who the heck really just wants to be 'ok'? Who wants to only be 'a bit fitter'?!
You should do it, because even though we are a gym, we truly believe that nutrition is 80% of the battle for a lean, strong body.
You should do it because a balanced diet and workout regimen allows for optimal health & fitness and guards against sickness. Take a look at the diagram below for more clarity.
People on the far left of this diagram are typically sedentary and suffer from chronic disease. People who fall further to the right enjoy a much more productive and longer life. Here at CrossFit NZ, we want to push you as far to the right as possible. If you are truly fit, you first have to get 'well' before you can get sick. It's like a buffer zone of protection against illness. Make sense?
Many people attempt to embark on a 'get fit for summer' campaign. Probably about 10% of those people succeed. We are not about a short term, quick fix at CFNZ, we want to be sure you understand that. However, we have actually witnessed some AMAZING results in very short periods of time. But it was only from people who worked their butts off, and committed themselves 110%.
No one can stick 110% all the time, but it is possible for a short period, with motivated people, with an end goal in sight. So every year, we help members of our community step things up a notch and see what they can achieve with a concentrated burst of effort. Plus doing it in a team and with a bunch of other CrossFitters will be inspiring, supportive and FUN as well!
Points will be awarded over the 10 weeks between Oct 4 and Dec 11, based on:
- adherence to Paleo/Primal/Zone nutrition
- improvements in baseline fitness tests.
The main aim of this challenge is to make you more aware of what you are eating and how it is affecting your own performance, health and body composition. But it sure as heck wont be a bad thing to come out the other side with a hot bod as well!! We will celebrate the end of the challenge with a Xmas party Sat Dec 11th and then get together Sunday morning over coffee to award the winners.
Stuff you need to know
- We will take photographs (shorts for the men, and shorts and sports bra for the women, men may wear a sports bra if they so choose.......) pre-challenge. This will both be repeated at the end of the challenge. Points will be awarded for greatest visual improvements. (yes we have done body comp before, but skinfolds are not super accurate, a photo never lies........)
- You will be asked to keep nutrition logs throughout the challenge - you have to log your food for the entire 10 weeks. This will be tough, but writing your food down is a super duper powerful method of becoming aware of your eating patterns. The CFNZ coaches will be checking your logs periodically to offer support and tips to tweak and improve your diet, and points will be awarded/deducted depending on nutrition quality :-)
- Your team will have access to a coach through the online forum for the duration of the challenge where you will be able to ask advice on nutrition, meal plans, recipes; anything relevant to the challenge. We charge our online clients $100-150 a month for this kind of support, so in our humble opinion it's worth getting involved just for this part. Just think what kind of improvements you can make to your diet, and thus your performance and your body, with us gently prodding/looking over your shoulder/breathing down your neck, every step of the way..........
- There will be team events throughout the challenge where your team will compete for points. We will give points for winning the challenges as well as points for group participation.
- The 5 best individuals as determined by points will then be asked to write a little something about any obstacles they overcame, the changes they experienced, and the highlights of the challenge. Their essay and pics will be voted on by all participants to determine our grand winner.
How much to enter?
It will cost 50 smackaroos.
1st place - 30% of the prize pool, and a limited edition CFNZ Virtuosity t-shirt.
2nd place - 20% of the prize pool and a CFNZ t shirt.
3rd place - 10% of the prize pool.
Winning team members get a bottle of delicious fish oil, and bragging rights until the next challenge....
All entrants will win a new awareness of their nutrition, and a summer-ready body!
So if we get 50 people entered, and you take out the title, you will walk away with 750 bucks! You can spend it on some new clothes to show off your new bod.
So crunch time peeps, if you want to be in with a shot, you have to allow members to see your before and afters if you make the top 5. They're friends and family remember, it's no big deal, besides you'll be even MORE hot and buff than you are now!